CME INDIA Presentation by Dr. Dhruva Chaudhry, M.B.B.S, MD, DNB(Med), DM(PCCM), Sr. Professor & Chair Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine (PCCM), PGIMS, UHS, Rohtak, State Nodal Officer COVID19, Haryana, Immediate Past President, Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine, President Association of Commonwealth Scholars & Fellows (ACSF).
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge” – Stephen Hawking.
“Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response – Arthur M Schlesmger.”
1. Understand the structure of virus
2. Know the risk factors for severe disease in patients with COVID-19
3. It is very important to minutely scan Time line of COVID-19 disease
4. Understand the nature of unique Biphasic illness
5. Alert for symptoms and know how to detect the virus
6. Identifying people at risk/National Early Warning Score (NEWS) – NEWS 2
7. Managing minimally symptomatic/Asymptomatic
8. Managing Moderate Covid Cases
9. Managing Severe Disease
10. Using Steroids
11. Total Snap Shot in one view
12. Now Keep Track of Long COVID
13. Know Covishield Vs Covaxin
14. Know Variant of Concern around you
15. Mucormycosis Essentials
16. Final Points
- COVID is a disease with myriad of symptoms ranging from mild ones to life threatening.
- Diagnosis is by serology tests combined with radiology and blood investigations.
- Management is by tailored based approach.
- Vaccination along with social measured is the key factor for spreading the disease.
CME INDIA Tail Piece
Evidence based medicine, finally.
(By Dr Rajeev Jayadevan, Member, National Task Force IMA for Coronavirus epidemic, Vice Chairman Research Cell Kerala State IMA – 6th June.)
The latest COVID-19 guideline from Directorate General of Health Services at Ministry of Health & Family Welfare @MoHFW_INDIA, are pristine no-nonsense science.
✅ NO UNNECESSARY MEDICATIONS. Period.
- Bold and clear statement about asymptomatic infection: “NO MEDICINES REQUIRED.”
- No antibiotics.
- No place for HCQ, Zinc, Vitamins, Ivermectin on the document.
- Clear instructions on steroid dose. One dose, one fixed duration.
- No steam inhalation advised (people sometimes do this in excess).
- Hydration, diet and positive mindset/social connections get attention.
- Clear instructions on Remdesivir and Tocilizumab, these are to be carefully used – only in highly selected patients.
- Bold instructions to “ACTIVATE HOSPITAL INFECTION CONTROL COMMITTEE” (HICC).
👆This is an absolutely important & assertive step that will change the way medicine is practiced in hospitals. Antibiotic stewardship / infection control practises are part of it.
On a personal note, as a long-term advocate of rational prescribing and no-nonsense evidence-based medicine, I am relieved that our voices have been heard by those who are formulating these guidelines.
MoHFW Guidelines for Management of Covid-19 Patients:
Discover CME INDIA
- Explore CME INDIA Repository
- Examine CME INDIA Case Study
- Read History Today in Medicine
- Register for Future CMEs